SPEECH DELIVERED BY THE SECRETARY TO THE
GOVERNMENT OF THE FEDERATION SENATOR AYIM PIUS
AYIM, GCON, TO CLOSE THE 10TH EDITION OF THE ABUJA
NATIONAL CARNIVAL ON 27TH NOVEMBER,2014
1. It gives me great joy to be part of this year’s epoch making event of Abuja National Carnival. I feel particularly honoured by your kind invitation for me to declare open – the Boat Regatta, being the event to close the Carnival.
2.1 am delighted that the essence of this particular event is to showcase the rich cultural heritage of our people in the riverine areas. Every part of Nigeria contributes to the rich diversity and depth of our national heritage. In this instance, we get a chance to appreciate our riverine peoples’ creative ingenuity; especially, their craft in boat rowing and display. In that sense, I am very pleased that the Abuja National Carnival continues to showcase our diverse cultures and also promote our unity.
3.1 commend this year’s theme: “Building an Enduring Creative Nation”. It has focused our minds on encouraging the development of the creative potentials; most especially – in our teeming youths. The enterprising display of dance and colourful costumes in this event is evidence that Nigeria is blessed with creative talents. That is why our government will continue to do all that is necessary to bring these talents to the attention of the wider society and the marketplace. Beyond that, we are giving incentives to ensure that once talent is showcased; entrepreneurs and the organized private sector can step forward with the appropriate models for their commercial development.
4. Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen, it is in that context that I see the Boat Regatta a traditional event that offers modern opportunities. It serves as a visual symbol of our unique heritage. However, it has also become an important ingredient, not only for the attraction of tourists, but also for evolving a national culture out of our plurality as a nation. All these attributes and features are clearly manifest in the Abuja National Carnival.
5. I wish to assure you all that this Administration will continue to encourage the Abuja National Carnival. The President, His Excellency Goodluck bele Jonathan, GCFR; believes that culture is a very important element and form of national transformation. Indeed, it is his intention to reposition culture and tourism into strong bedrocks of the economy. He expects the transformation of this section to create hundreds of thousands of well paying jobs for our youths; and also reduce our over-dependency on the Petroleum Sector as the main stay of the economy.
6. I commend the Honorable Ministers of Tourism, Culture and National Orientation; the Federal Capital Territory; Members of the Carnival Committee and relevant Stakeholders who worked tirelessly in making sure that the 2014 Carnival is a huge success.
7. It therefore gives my great pleasure to declare open the Boat Regatta event of the Abuja National Carnival. I urge you to relax and enjoy the colourful display of our rich cultural endowment.